A deliciously warming, but not too filling soup.
- 1 lb onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 oz butter
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1.5 pints beef stock
- 6 fl oz dry white wine
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Place a large saucepan on high heat, and melt the oil and butter
- Add the garlic, onions and the sugar, and cook, stirring
occasionally until the onions have started to turn dark (the time
this takes depends on how hot your highest hob setting is!)
- Turn the heat down to low, and leave cooking for 30mins.
- Add the liquid and season, stirring the pan well. Leave to cook
gently for at least an hour.
- Bring soup back up to the boil and serve with croutons.